We believe that God calls all to ministry. For those who are "set apart" for ordained ministry, SFTS strives to nurture and support a variety of calls experienced by God's people. We accomplish this through a rich tapestry of academic options, preparing Christian leaders to address the various needs of the future church. We are very proud of the flexibility we afford our students thanks in part to our two campuses. Our residential community in San Anselmo is set in unparalleled natural beauty, with easy access to San Francisco, Berkeley and Silicon Valley.
We are many things:
- A vital learning faith community, drawing strength from our exceptional faculty—whose life work is continuing scholarship and teaching—and our faith in Jesus Christ, whom we worship and serve as an integral part of the seminary experience
- An international and ecumenical coalition of church leaders, enjoying the creativity of a student body that comes from multiple faith traditions and nearly every continent on the globe
- A committed seminary of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), dedicated to Christ's future church by preparing students with a solid academic foundation in biblical scholarship and theology, and by developing the practical skills, deep faith, and desire to serve as God calls us
- A founding member of the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, offering options to explore a multitude of ministry opportunities and inter-religious dialogue, in programs ranging from continuing education up to the Ph.D.
SFTS students can be assured that they will have access to the very best academic resources for theological studies, supplemented with several innovative programs, including:
- The Program in Christian Spirituality, acknowledged widely as a leader in Protestant spirituality, including spiritual formation for students, training in spiritual practices for pastors and spiritual directors, and diploma programs and a D.Min. concentration in spiritual direction.
- The Lloyd Counseling Service, which offers students low-cost counseling and spiritual direction to help them become more grounded and mature spiritual leaders. The Lloyd Counseling Service also offers a D.Min. program in Pastoral Care and Counseling, and coaching for pastoral leaders.
- The Shaw Family Chair for Clinical Pastoral Education, enabling students to design their own CPE experience with an accredited CPE supervisor, Rev. Laurie Garrett-Cobbina.
- SFTS has one of the most well-developed and respected ministry internship programs, which is a valued and integral part of the M.Div. curriculum.
Interested in pursuing your call with SFTS?
Contact us—visit us—discern with us—and apply for any of the following programs:
SFTS offers financial aid for all students with demonstrated need, merit scholarships for those showing exceptional potential for academics and/or church leadership. We offer heavily subsidized housing for students in Northern California from shared apartments for single students to townhouses for families.