Black History Month Worship
Throughout the month of February, SFTS will be observing Black History Month in all of its daily chapel worship services. Working in collaboration with Professor Yolanda Norton and Professor Laurie Garrett-Cobbina, the SFTS Worship Team is designing worship experiences that connect the whole of our life of worship to Black History Month, and that celebrate African-American church preaching, singing, and worship traditions. February chapel worship services will be on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays.
- Monday, February 4: Yolanda Norton (SFTS H. Eugene Farlough Chair in Black Church Studies and Assistant Professor of Old Testament)
- Friday, February 8: Dr. Laurie Garrett-Cobbina (SFTS Shaw Chair for Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE); Assistant Professor of Pastoral Care and Education; Chief Diversity Officer; and Director, Shaw Institute for Spiritual Care and Interreligious Chaplaincy)
- Monday, February 11: Denise Diaab (SFTS MDiv Senior)
- Friday, February 15: Floyd Thompkins (SFTS VP Innovation and Online Education; Director, SFTS Center for Innovation in Ministry)
- Monday, February 18: No chapel services
- Friday, February 22: Rev. Roland Gordon (SFTS Alumnus; Pastor, Ingleside Presbyterian Church, SF)
- Monday, February 25: Ashley Reid (SFTS MDiv Senior)
Our Tuesday prayer services (12:05pm, Montgomery Chapel) will feature a sung liturgy of African-American spirituals, designed by Carolyn Anderson (SFTS MDiv Student).
We hope that you will join the community in our observance of Black History Month by participating in these worship experiences.