Master of Arts in Theological Studies
The Master of Arts in Theological Studies fosters development of theological understanding as part of educational, professional, and spiritual growth. The MATS is a general academic degree, providing balanced exposure to the theological disciplines while allowing for focus on an area of interest. This degree is appropriate for students who:
- Are not seeking ordination but wish to work in a church setting.
- Are ordained but need further academic work in theological studies.
- Wish to enhance one’s understanding of theological perspectives and religious practices for personal growth or to relate to another professional field.
The program allows for concentration in a field of study to a greater extent than the MDiv requirements generally permit. The faculty and disciplines are organized into three curricular areas: (1) Biblical Studies, (2) Church History & Theology, and (3) Ministry & Spirituality. The specific learning outcomes of the MATS degree are to:
- Know a selected theological discipline.
- Analyze and comprehend major questions in the field and alternative solutions to them.
- Formulate and effectively explain an original solution to a theological problem.